How to Say "Happy Birthday" in Spanish
How to Say Happy Birthday in Spanish
Sample Cheat Sheets
Standard "Happy Birthday"
Exclaim "¡Feliz cumpleaños!" This is the standard, most basic way to say “happy birthday” in Spanish.
- Felizis a Spanish adjective meaning "happy."
- Cumpleañosis a Spanish noun meaning "birthday." It is a compound word. The "cumple" comes from the Spanish verb "cumplir," meaning "to complete" or "to accomplish." The word "años" means "years." Note thetildeover the "n" in "años" is essential to maintain the meaning of the word.
- Pronounce this birthday greeting asfay-lees koom-play-ahn-yohs.
Method 1 Quiz
What does the Spanish word “cumplir” mean?
Other Common Birthday Wishes
Say "¡Felicidades!"This is a congratulatory sentiment often used on birthdays, among other occasions.
- Felicidadesis translated most closely as "congratulations" or "all the best." It is strictly used as an interjection, but it is related to the Spanish nounfelicitaciones,which also means "congratulations."
- While it may seem odd within U.S. culture to tell someone "congratulations" on his or her birthday, it is an acceptable greeting to use in most Spanish-speaking countries. You are essentially congratulating the individual on the end of one year and start of another.
- Pronounce this sentiment asfay-lees-ee-dah-days.
Specify "¡Felicidades en tu día!" This is another congratulatory sentiment, but it is a little more birthday-specific than the basicfelicidades.
- Felicidadesstill means “congratulations” in this birthday greeting.
- Enmeans “on,”tuis the familiar form of the word “your,” anddíameans “day.”
- Note that when speaking to someone you are not on familiar terms with, you should say “su”—pronouncedsoo”—instead of “tu.” The term “su” is a more formal way of saying “your” when used in this context.
- The entire phrase translates into English as “Congratulations on your day!”
- Pronounce the sentiment asfay-lees-ee-dah-days ehn too dee-ah.
Offer "¡Felicidades en el aniversario del día en que tu has nacido!"This expression is far less common than other congratulatory sentiments, but it is the most birthday-specific one you can use.
- El aniversariois the Spanish way of saying “the anniversary.”
- Delis actually a combination of “de,” meaning “of,” and “el,” meaning “the.” The “el” is connected to the word “día,” meaning “day.”
- The phrase “que tu has nacido” translates into “that you were born.”Nacidois a conjugated form of the Spanish verb “nacer,” meaning “to be born.”
- When put all together, the phrase says, “Congratulations on the anniversary of the day on which you were born.”
- You can pronounce this sentence asfay-lees-ee-dah-days ehn ehl ah-nee-vers-ahr-ee-oh dehl dee-ah ehn kay too ahs nah-cee-doh.
Wish "¡Que cumplas muchos más!” Saying this birthday wish is essentially the same thing as telling someone in English, “and many more,” after wishing that person a happy birthday.
- Quetranslates into the English "that."
- Cumplasis derived from the Spanish verb "cumplir," meaning "to complete," "to accomplish," or "to fulfill."
- Muchosis a plural form of the Spanish word "mucho," meaning "many."
- Másmeans "more" in English.
- When translated directly, this wish states, "that you complete many more." In essence, you are telling the birthday boy or birthday girl that you hope he or she has many more birthdays after this one.
- Pronounce the entire sentiment askay koom-plahs mooch-ohs mahs.
State "¡Que tengas un feliz día!" While this greeting may seem a little less birthday-specific, it is another common sentiment used to wish someone happiness on his or her birthday.
- The phrase translates directly into “that you have a happy day.” By using this phrase, you are wishing someone happiness on his or her birthday even though you are not specifying that it is his or her birthday in the phrase itself.
- Quemeans “that,” “feliz” means “happy,” and “día” means “day.”
- Tengasis a conjugated form of the verb “tener,” meaning “to have.”
- Pronounce the sentiment askay tehn-gahs oon fay-lees dee-ah.
Ask “¿Cuántos años tienes?” This question is used to ask the birthday girl or birthday boy how old she or he is.
- Translated more directly, the question asks, “how many years do you have?”
- Cuántosasks "how many."
- Añosmeans "years" in English. Note thetildeover the "n" is essential to maintain the meaning of the word.
- Tienesis a conjugated form of the Spanish verb "tener," meaning "to have."
- Pronounce the question askwahn-tohs ahn-yohs tee-en-ays.
Method 2 Quiz
Which phrase asks “How old are you?”
QuestionHow do you say "Happy Birthday, my friend. Enjoy, God bless"?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can say, "Feliz cumpleaños, mi amigo." (Happy birthday, my friend.) And, "Disfrute, Dios los bendiga." (Enjoy, God bless.)Thanks!
QuestionHow do you say "Happy birthday, Dad"?wikiHow ContributorCommunity Answer"¡Feliz cumpleaños papá!" Pronounced the same way as above, and "papá" pronounced how it's spelled, with the stress on the second syllable.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is "happy 2nd birthday" in Spanish?Top AnswererFeliz segundo cumpleaños.Thanks!
QuestionHow would I say, "Happy birthday my son. I love you"?Top AnswererFeliz cumpleaños, mi hijo. Te amo.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I say, "Happy belated birthday" in Spanish?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou either say, "Feliz cumpleaños atrasado" or, "Feliz cumpleaños con retraso."Thanks!
QuestionHow do I say "Happy birthday, old man" in Spanish?Top AnswererFeliz cumpleaños, viejo.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I say "Happy Birthday" in Uruguay?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMost residents of Uruguay speak the Rioplatense Spanish dialect, so it would be "Feliz cumpleaños."Thanks!
QuestionHow do I say "Advanced happy birthday"?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFeliz cumpleaños avanzado.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I say "Happy birthday, big brother"?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerEnglish: "Happy Birthday big brother." Spanish: "Feliz cumpleaños hermano mayor."Thanks!
QuestionHow do I say, Happy birthday, my sister, may God bless you and keep you to see many more years to come"?Blue SapphireCommunity AnswerFeliz cumpleaños mi querida hermana, Dios te bendiga y te mantenga a ver muchos años más por venir.Thanks!
How do you say happy birthday in Maya?
To wish someone a happy birthday in Spanish, use the phrase "¡Feliz cumpleaños!” which is pronounced fay-lees koom-play-ahn-yos. You can also say "¡Felicidades!” which translates to “congratulations” and is pronounced fay-lees-ee-dah-days. For a phrase that’s a little more birthday specific, use "¡Felicidades en tu día!” or “congratulations on your day” and is pronounced fay-lees-ee-dah-days ehn too dee-ah.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Português: , Italiano: , Français: , Deutsch: , 中文: , Русский: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , Čeština: , العربية: , Tiếng Việt:
Video: How To Say Happy Birthday In Spanish
6 Biggest Mistakes To Avoid When Going Paleo
Women are happiest aged 28
How to Connect a Keyboard to Galaxy Tab 2
Fashion’s Rock Royalty Revolution: Which Girl’s YourFave
This Is the One Product Emily Ratajkowski Swears By for Glowing Skin
How to Treat Mastitis
The Anatomy of an Athletic Shoe
How to File for a Domestic Partnership in New York
An ethical quandary at the heart of the defense-fund idea
Chris Pratt Gave an Emotional Speech About His Sons Premature Birth
13 things you didn’t know about Prince Philip